Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Quadrant of Death

The idea of "spiritual strongholds" isn't in vogue. The notion that certain geographic areas are under the dominion of dark entities smacks of superstition and ignorance in an "enlightened" world.

Yet, in the City of Angels we have a "Quadrant of Death." If you go to the Homicide Report at the LA Times Blog you will see a map of LA with red balloons (or maybe drops of blood?) marking the locations of the 200 murders that have occurred since January first. It's a visual snapshot of the boundaries of most of the homicides in LA. Is this simply a socio-economic phenomenon? Is it merely a culture of death...or are there spiritual implications?

Last summer my husband celebrated our return to LA by booking the Baja Cruise, a five day trip down the coast to Catalina, San Diego and Ensenada. I hadn't been to Mexico since I was a small child. With my Hispanic roots and the tremendous Mexican influence in Southern California, Mexico has always puzzled me.

Why can't Mexico get its act together? With all its natural resources you'd think that by now they would have figured out a way to create a prosperous society. People say, "Oh, it's the corruption...it's the greed of the wealthy ruling class." I'm no student of Mexican history, but obviously something is very wrong with a country when so many people are willing to leave their families and brave electric fences, security guards' guns, and the broiling desert to find a new life.

As a tourista touring downtown Ensenada, I watched Americans ignoring small indigenious women selling cheap bracelets while their children peddled penny candy. Desperate shop owners beckoned us to buy their wares. Even the restaurants posted depressed hawkers waving menus.

Maybe some of the tourists had a great time, but I hated it. I felt oppressed. What was really going on? I started looking closely at what was for sale. In the midst of silver, gems, leather, and stained glass there were also symbols of the Mexican culture--Day of the Dead Dolls and pictures of the ancient gods. Serpents and masks of Mayan, Aztec and Inca origin.

That's when I identified what weighed my spirit. I was in a place I didn't belong, a place under a spiritual dominion far removed from my Christian comfort zone. It isn't the ruling class that keeps Mexico down, it's the ruling gods.

Could LA's "Quadrant of Death" be under a similiar spiritual dominion? What would happen if Christians came together and prayed light and the Holy Spirit to break through these spiritual strong holds?

It's time to break out of our "holy huddles" and join prayer forces for a spiritually free LA.

Lord, give us a clear vision of the spiritual realities of our city. Bring like-minded believers together for Your purposes and liberate Your people trapped in the Quadrant of Death.

So Be It,
Mother T

Mother_T@yahoo.com

No comments: