Monday, August 11, 2008

Peace to the family of Jasmine Sanders

The Homicide Report continues to chronicle the senseless violence of LA. The saddest story related last week was the death of eight-year-old Jasmine Sanders, shot as she was coming in from playing at her apartment complex. Five days later her 13 year old cousin was arrested. As a new gang member, he was handling a gun and it discharged, accidentally killing little Jasmine. Jasmine's mother and grandmother expressed their grief and frustration. Jasmine is the third family member to die this year.

I know a lot of people just accept this pattern of behavior, a continuing cycle of cultural violence. Personally, I don't believe we have to accept the status quo. Change begins at the spiritual level, it begins with a change of heart.

I continue to pray for LA. As a mother, I especially pray for the mothers of LA. I pray they find the courage to stand against the pattern of violence. I pray they teach their children to seek God and take a higher path. I pray they find the Truth and stop being deceived by Lies. I pray the family of Jasmine Sanders commorates her life joy and love.

So Be It,

Mother T.

No comments: